Tuesday, February 7, 2017

I am a Public School Teacher

I am a public school teacher.  I teach ELA in the capital city, where the busy life of a city blows by my classroom window.  Where we read works by William Shakespeare, Harper Lee, Sherman Alexie, Arthur Miller, and Mark Twain.  Where we write the stories of tomorrow, and the essays of today.

I am a public school teacher.  My day begins an hour before my students so I can make copies, plug in laptops, meet with students, work on grading.  My day ends after after school activities I run, or tutoring, or cleaning my room, or even the occasional time where I zone out and get a moment to breathe.

I am a public school teacher.  My students are referred to as “my kids”, because they are more than just my students, and I care about more than just their ELA grade.

I am a public school teacher.  I am blessed to work with our future; the doctors, performers, managers, librarians, nurses, teachers, leaders of tomorrow.  

I am a public school teacher and I do it for the outcome.  

I am a public school teacher and I love every minute of my day from the light bulb moments, to the occasional tantrum.

I am a public school teacher, and I don’t say “I have to go to work tomorrow” I say “I’m going to school.”  

I am a public school teacher, and I can’t imagine doing anything else with my life.  It is a calling, not a job, not a passing fancy.

I am a public school teacher and I am maligned in the press, and now in the government.

I am a public school teacher, and I pledge to fight.  For my kids, my son, for your children, for our future.

1 comment: